Monday, November 28, 2005

Dispatch From Post-Constitutional America

TSA SCABS TAKE WHAT THEY WANT

PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE REVIEW - Some of the more unusual complaints against TSA security screeners at Pittsburgh International Airport in the past two years:

- October 2004: "On a flight from Pittsburgh to Chicago today, my checked-in bag was searched and a flask of liquor was confiscated. I went to your Web site and alcohol is not listed as a prohibited item. That cost me $35.00. Why was it taken from me?"

- September 2005: "I have an urgent issue that is of little value to anyone else but my son. His baby blanket ... is missing. I know this is a very low priority item in terms of expense. To my son it is the most valuable item in his life. He was looking for it tonight and had a very hard time going to sleep."

- May 2005: "I have taken many airplane flights with my sewing machine. ... There are sewing and quilting conferences all over the world. When I went to take my last flight departing Pittsburgh, I was ... suddenly surrounded by several TSA police poised with their hands ready to take out their guns. ... They said my machine was part of a bomb and I was going to put the bomb all together, once on the plane. I offered to demonstrate the machine, show them a dress I was making, etc. They stillsaid that terrorists go to great lengths to get a bomb onto a plane." (The "sensitive, computerized machine" was confiscated, and not returned to the traveler.)

- December 2004: "On a recent visit to Pittsburgh, one of your agents deliberately held my wife and I longer for inspection, fully knowing that we would miss our flight. We were pulled off the line for a second inspection, probably because we were speaking in French."

- At least one passenger who traveled through Pittsburgh . . . had to remove her piercings in a restroom after airport security told her she couldn't get on a plane with her hardware intact.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/s_397618.html

No comments:

Post a Comment